Many people drive for rideshare companies like Uber or Lyft. However, some of the drivers aren’t always the safest, and have the potential to cause auto accidents. While these accidents can be severe, those who were injured have legal options. The Rideshare Law Group is ready to help you fight for your rights.
There are a few signs that will point out a dangerous drivers who are risking an accident happening on the road. Look for the ways that signal your driver isn’t doing their job safely.
Your driver should be driving safely to get you to your destination. If you see any of the following, your driver is making dangerous decisions that could result in a car crash.
- Distracted Driving. Rideshare drivers should have their hands on the steering wheel, eyes on the road, and they should be focused on driving. Using their phone to text, check social media, or are trying to use the navigation system while driving is unsafe. They also shouldn’t be trying to eat or do any other activity while driving.
- Aggressive Driving. When you have an aggressive driver, this person will typically speed, tailgate, or weave in and out of lanes without signaling or giving other cars time to react to the change. They may also try to block other cars or shout from their windows. Drivers who succumb to road rage will be more focused on getting back at the other driver than driving safely.
- Intoxicated Driving. Drunk drivers or those who are driving under the influence of drugs are putting you, themselves, and other drivers at risk of an accident that could result in injuries or fatalities. If your driver is intoxicated, ask them to pull over and get in touch with the authorities immediately.
- Reckless Driving. Drivers who ignore traffic signs or don’t bother to signal turns or lane changes are putting everyone on the road at risk.
- Visible Swerving. You don’t have to be using a rideshare service to spot an unsafe driver. If you see a car with a label of the rideshare company and see the car swerving, driving erratically, or is unable to stay in one lane, then you can pull over safely and contact the police.
If at any time you feel unsafe during your ride, ask the driver to pull over. It’s typically better if this is in a populated area so you feel safe getting out of the car. Then you can report the driver with the service you’re using. You can also report what happened to the police.
Rideshare drivers also have regulations for how they should treat the person in their car. It’s common for small talk to happen, but if any of the following areas of discussion come up and make you uncomfortable, you can report them.
- Asking Personal Questions. If a driver is asking too much about your personal information, like where you live or where you work, it can be unsettling. Asking them to stop this kind of questioning can also be intimidating. At any point, you can ask them to pull over so you can exit the car.
- Asking About Destination. Your driver may be asking too many questions about where you’re going. While it’s typical to talk about where you’re going, if the driver’s line of questioning is making you uncomfortable or makes you feel unsafe, you can report them.
Not Following the Rideshare Company’s Regulations
Rideshare drivers for companies like Uber and Lyft have certain regulations to follow and expectations to meet for their customers. When they don’t do what the company says they should, reporting their behavior will allow the company to correct the issue.
- Vehicle Cleanliness. The vehicle should be free of trash and clutter. You should be able to sit in the seat, buckle in, and not be cramped by extra items in the car.
- Using Proper Routes. Drivers are supposed to use the most direct routes so you get to your destination quickly. When driver purposely take slower, longer routes that will make the ride more expensive, they aren’t following company rules.
- Following the Rules of the Road. Rideshare drivers have to obey traffic laws just like everyone else.
The Rideshare Law Group Can Help You
Dangerous rideshare drivers can potentially cause auto wrecks and seriously injure people. If you’ve been injured by a rideshare driver, you can seek justice. The Rideshare Law Group will help you with your claim. We know how to deal with car accident claims with rideshare companies and will make sure the correct party is held responsible for their actions. You can get in touch with us today and schedule a free consultation. Together, we’ll go over your case and determine the best way to help you.