Rideshare services provide an easy answer to getting to your destination without worrying about driving. While there are a few options to choose from, Uber is one of the most recognizable. While many people use this service, the company isn’t without it criticisms about safety and how they treat their employees.
If you’ve been in a car accident involving Uber, an Uber accident lawyer from the Rideshare Law Group can help you get compensation for your injuries. We understand how a car accident claim can be overwhelming to deal with on your own. We’ll stand by your side every step of the way.
Recent Uber Lawsuits
Even though Uber is a popular rideshare service that many people use, the company is facing a number of lawsuits regarding their workers, customers, and the locations where the service is available.
- Employees. Uber drivers have a class action lawsuit against Uber so they could get employee benefits while working, like getting tips.
- Passengers with Service Animals. Uber was recently in a lawsuit that claimed the company discriminated against passengers that have service animals. Drivers wouldn’t pick up passengers with animals or would put them in the trunk. The lawsuit has reached the beginning stages of a settlement.
- Passenger Safety. There have been lawsuits against Uber from passengers who were sexually assaulted by drivers, calling into question the company’s hiring process.
- Local Governments. Because Uber has vastly exploded in many areas, local governments have claimed that Uber ignored regulations due to the high demand for drivers. While taxi services require fingerprint checks, Uber does not. There is disagreement about whether or not Uber’s process is thorough enough without fingerprints. Many worry about their process when they consider that there are lawsuits against Uber about drivers attacking their passengers.
Uber’s various lawsuits deal with myriad issues, but it’s important to note that people are holding the company legally accountable for their past actions.
Why Is Uber Insurance Complicated?
Car accidents involving a rideshare company can get complicated because they differ from regular accidents. Usually, a car accident is between two or more parties. After the accident, the driver exchange contact and insurance policy information. Then they can proceed to file a claim.
Rideshare companies make this more difficult because there are many circumstances that could have caused the accident:
- The Uber driver caused the accident.
- Another car collided with the Uber car.
- A pedestrian walked out in front of an Uber vehicle.
As a passenger in an Uber, you may not know how to proceed with a claim. A skilled Uber accident lawyer will use their expertise to determine fault in the accident and help you proceed with your claim.
What Are the Qualifications for Uber Drivers?
Some criticisms of Uber include Uber drivers being rude, driving dangerously, or not picking up their passengers and charging them anyway. This brings up the question, what is Uber’s screening process for drivers?
Drivers have to meet some requirements, documents, and go through a screening process.
Requirements: At least 21 years old, three years of licensed driving experience for drivers under 23 or one year of experience for older drivers, have a U.S. driver’s license, and a 4-door vehicle.
Documents: These items need to be shared with Uber before drivers begin. They are a U.S. driver’s license, a driver profile photo, and proof of insurance for the vehicle.
Then, Uber screens the person’s driving record and criminal history.
While this may work for getting initial drivers, there’s the issue of what happens once the Uber drivers are hired. Rating systems to exist for Uber drivers, but this doesn’t stop some Uber drivers from cancelling trips at the last minute, which sometimes sticks the passenger with a cancellation fee.
Uber also includes prioritizing safety on their site. They emphasize obeying the speed limit, never texting and driving, and drivers keeping their phone on a mount.